November 5, 2010

Just because

I felt like I needed to write a quick post this evening before I sit down to attack two more stats lessons and perhaps a little mending. I will admit, I have been one giant grump-ball this week. In the moment(s) I certainly felt justified but really, how often are we truly justified in being grumpy or ungrateful? I hope the answer really is "never".

My gripes:

  • I got my wisdom teeth out and can't take any really "good" pain medications and my cheeks & jaw are so swollen I'm still on a soup diet. So? I should be glad that we live somewhere we even have access to safe dental care. Besides, I have tylenol, ice and a husband who was willing to do anything he could to make sure I was comfortable- including getting me a Jamba juice with protein, rubbing my feet, watching girly movies and helping me try over and over again to get some antibiotics down. (And then he put everything involved in that through the wash so I wouldn't have to). 
  • We have so many bills to pay and now the added expense of this little surgery on top of everything else already going on. Craig and I are both employed. I heard on the radio again today that nearly 10% of the country is still unemployed. Our combined student loan expenses are less than half of an average college graduate. While we may feel the stresses associated with student loans, medical bills and unexpected expenses, I can't think of anyone who doesn't. Oh, and we have eye, dental and health insurance that- as my mother pointed out- really isn't that bad. Things could be a lot worse. 
  • Grandpa had an episode of sorts last weekend and now people are worried about him again and it feels like no one has confidence in our ability to give him the help he needs. Grandpa and I have been on two outings this week- both initiated by him. We also went for a walk outside yesterday.  Before I got home today, he had been out in the neighborhood enjoying the beautiful fall colors. He enjoyed being out in the sun so much that he went for another short walk while I was resting. He is enjoying life, enjoying food and getting better and better every day. 

As hard or as stressful as things get, we're not going to starve or be forced to live in our car. We're getting a good education (and so close to finishing!) Even though sometimes it feels like it's two steps back for every step forward, at least there is a forward step in there at all. 

5 comments:

  1. As mom says, "Keep your chin up!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things are better now. This was not meant to be an added "gripe-fest" post- just the opposite. Yes, a few things might seem a little stinky from time to time, but really, there are so many things to be happy about. Including chick-flicks and walks to the mail box

    ReplyDelete
  3. And getting to come home for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely! I'm sure I'm not practically counting down the hours until we'll be there or anything like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From the oldest daughter's point of view--we are glad you are there for Grandpa. You are doing a great job. Occasionally we have to feel like we have charge of our dad. Don't take offense. Don't know what we would do without you.

    ReplyDelete