November 21, 2010

From my perspective

*(Potentially) Hormonal Rant Warning!*
You always hear or read that no two pregnancies are the same. Guess what? No two pregnant women are the same, either. This means that what one might find to be perfectly acceptable, strangers coming up to you in the grocery store and touching your tummy, for example, might be the most inappropriate thing to another. For most of my own pregnancy here I've tried to remember that not everyone thinks about things the way I do. I'd like to say I've been successful in just letting things- particularly things I find absurd- "roll off," but I think I hit a bit of a snapping point today.

Things that seriously bug me:

  • Telling me I'm too big, too small, too round, too pointy etc. I'm not "too" anything- I am exactly the size and shape I need to be for this baby. 
  • Telling me that I'm going to go past my due date. (Saying things like "the baby hasn't dropped, you've got tons of time to go" isn't useful.)
  • Warning Craig about how terrible and difficult it is going to be to be a parent. Yes, that's really helpful to both of us. How about sharing how wonderful it was the first time you were handed a child of your own? Those are the sort of things we like to hear about. We know babies poop, sleep (or not) and cry. Share the happy things with us! 
  • Being told my hips are too narrow to have a baby, labor is terrible, the horrors of transition and how selfish it is to have any pain intervention. At times like this, I think of my mother saying "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." Is attempting to scare someone who is going to go through labor helpful? I think not. 
  • Okay, I have never had a baby but I can already tell you there is no such thing as "popping out a baby." Not only is that not even remotely accurate, I find it to be rather crude. 
  • If I look pregnant, then no, I haven't had the baby yet. You don't need to ask. 
  • I don't need medical advice. I'm paying a doctor for that and don't need to hear contradictory information.  
  • I'm one of those women who would prefer not to be asked to turn sideways to be looked at, have "mommy/daddy tummy" pictures taken or showing my bare tummy, for crying out loud. I have no issues with women who are cool with that sort of thing- it's just not for me.  Don't ask. 
  • And most of all- having my unborn daughter referred to as "Maddie." For the record, if we do name her Madeline after she is born, she will be referred to as Madeline. (Obviously, if we haven't told people how we feel about this we wouldn't be upset at them.) 

Helpful things: 
  • My sister-in-law, Jenny, is amazingly sweet. She has great advice, absolutely, but the best part about her advice is that she shares it with us knowing that no two women, babies, pregnancies, deliveries or couples are the same. Suggestions are great! We haven't been parents and appreciate tips but not the ones that come as the end-all answer. 
  • Seeing dads at church, the store, on campus etc. with their babies and loving every minute of it- even the less picture-perfect times. 
  • My mom (and sisters) listening and not judging me for asking potentially silly questions- sometimes over and over again. 
  • Friends who offer to go for walks
  • Sleep

7 comments:

  1. Love this post, I'm just getting to the point where people can look at me and tell I'm pregnant. The other weekend, some random guy decided to tell Dave "She knows she is the mother, but you just have to trust that your the father." Who says that! After he said it he started laughing, he really thought that this is an ok thing to say to anyone, let alone a perfect stranger. After we walked away, I kept thinking "He just implied that I'm a slut."

    ReplyDelete
  2. THAT is one I haven't had happen! Oh my goodness! Wow. I usually get the people at the store, in the mall, at church touching and advising. I just don't understand why being pregnant is suddenly an open invitation for people to say (and do!) anything they like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's because everyone loves babies; they symbolize everything that is right with the world, and people are naturally drawn to that. Yeah, I had people invade my "personal space" all the time, and it was incredibly annoying, but they mean no harm. Take a deep breath, smile and walk away. It's great practice for the first time your darling little angel rolls down the muddy hill in her frilly new church dress and white shoes. "Sarah Michelle! What ARE you doing??!!" (Patience is a hard-won virtue... I'm still working on it-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So does this mean that I can't just grab little Madeline out of your arms and snuggle her the whole, entire time you're here? Except for when grampa is holding her, of course... (I caught dad the other night holding the Mahler's new baby. He told Natalie, "Don't let Sister Nasson see this!") Your dad loves his grandchildren so much and misses all of you terribly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with mom. People will keep giving unwanted advice and say things to you even after your little darling is born. Let it roll! When you have your second baby, the comments don't come in as often. When it happens to me, I just make a mental note to try not to do it to others! Not too much longer! Soon Madeline will be asking you to kiss her bum-bum better because it hurts. (Andrew did that to me the other day)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my gosh I feel ya!!
    I HATED people trying to touch my belly! Hated it! Don't worry, people at least stop touching you once the baby comes and you'll be relieved (most of the time) to have someone hold her!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My six year old sister has started asking when I'm going to "crack that baby out." I think she got some chicken egg imagery confused in her ideas of where babies come from...

    ReplyDelete