November 10, 2010

A few of the crafty projects that are keeping me sane...

I was told once that the desire to create comes because of the fact that we are the ultimate creation and somehow we then have a need to create. (This came up in a RS lesson after discussing a BYU Devotional address several years ago.) Some people are easily able to create amazing works of art, create working machines, delicious meals, cool sand castles and others to see and really appreciate it. And then there's the rest of us. Those of us who certainly enjoy seeing beautiful or unique things, those who, perhaps not the most talented or knowledgable, enjoy attempting to create something pretty and practical. Sometimes I think the attempt is half the fun even if the final product isn't all that great. Yes, I love crafting and sewing and designing. I'm not the greatest at it but it sure is fun to try!
Here are a few of my most recent attempts...
I keep seeing little girls with giant headbands and flowers and frills all over the place. I think there certainly ought to be a size limit on these things. Those poor babies with flowers bigger than their heads are going to end up with back and neck problems before they're two! I, not being one to spend $15 on a single headband (that had a sloppy glue blob on the back!), decided to make my own and scale it down quite a bit. These here are made of a pair of $0.33 knee-highs, some extra soft felt (for backing), $0.75 worth of frilly accent, a pearl bead I found in my button jar and a flower that won't stay in its pot anymore. So, in total, I spent less than $2 to make a couple (I think) cute headbands.

I've also included pictures of the baby announcements I'm putting together (sans picture & baby info) before little miss is born. The car seat cover I've been attempting to get myself to work on for weeks is nearly done, too. Proof to the right.  I've been asked why I keep doing/making/crafting things and I suppose it is an attempt to keep busy until she comes since for some reason, as long as I'm working on a baby project, it seems to make time pass quicker. Yes, I realize I'm nuts. At least Baby Cosmo enjoyed the dress-up time (Kitty was most displeased when I attempted to recruit her as a model.)

1 comment: