October 31, 2010

Halloween!

Yes, I know I've already posted today (and several other times this week...) but I am so happy with how our silly little Halloween dinner turned out and had to share!

Craig informed me a couple weeks ago that growing up his mom would make "spider bread" and chili on Halloween. I had never heard of such a thing but figured I could certainly try! Craig described it as a loaf of bread with breadstick legs "tooth-picked" on.
P.s I had never even made chili before today- I hate beans! But, because I love my husband, I was willing to make that massive sacrifice and cook beans for him.  I got rave reviews about the chili so I guess it is possible to make something I've never enjoyed before! I will say, I even enjoyed it! (No, I didn't eat the beans, mom! I picked them out.)

One of my favorite family Halloween treats from growing up is "Ghosts in the Graveyard." I remember coming home from trick-or-treating with my siblings and dad and having hot chocolate or cider and Ghosts in the Graveyard. Mom used to put gummy (sometimes sour) worms in the dessert and on top around the cookie gravestones. My very favorite part about my mom's version, though, was the sweet-tart skeleton pieces that would be sticking up all over the place!
Not being ones to always want to exactly copy other people, we tweaked our family traditions a bit. Instead of chili and spider bread, I made spider biscuit bowls to hold the chili! As for the ghosts in the graveyard, we couldn't find any skeletons and we didn't use Oreos but a different secret ingredient- Craig gets all of the credit for that! Enjoy the pictures!!

1 comment: