April 22, 2012

Sophie Brooke- 16 Months


Our little girl helping build a raised
garden bed in our front yard

Since Sophie will be 17 months in less than two weeks, I thought it might be time for some Sophie highlights from her 16th month:


  • Sophie sees babies and baby carries all over and gets really excited, points, holds her arms out and says something with B sounds that I'm sure is supposed to be "baby."
  • Sophie enjoys going grocery shopping and holding "NaNaNas" on her lap and asking for green grapes. Yes, I am thrilled that she loves healthy foods. 
  • She is turning into quite the little girly-girl. She has a dress-up room in our "Harry Potter" closet under the stairs in the basement that Craig has hung a mirror in for her. She has hats, scarves, sun glasses and some of my old bags she likes to model in front of the mirror while smiling at herself. 
  • Her hair may be wild and crazy, but she loves to comb it. And mine. And Craig's. She tries to comb the cats but they get away. What a shame. 
  • If I'm putting eye shadow or any sort of "beauty" product on, she wants some. When I'm doing my makeup, she'll come in and bug me until I "brush" some eye shadow on her. On a similar note, she really enjoys a special lotion called Eau de Rose. My mom gave it to me several years ago and it was my great-grandma's scent. We put a tiny bit on the back of her hands and she says "mmm!" as she smells it. I wonder if grandma got to take her scent with her and shared with Sophie before she was born.
  • Sophie absolutely loves her good night routine and don't you dare try to change it- even a tiny bit. Just last night Craig tried to short her on her tooth brushing time and she about lost it. This routine consists of silly play time in the tub, getting wrapped in a big towel, brushing her teeth while wrapped in said giant towel sitting on the counter while daddy combs her hair, jammies, prayer (complete with Sophie folded arms) and her favorite- kisses and kisses and more kisses. Someday she might catch on that the kiss-fest means daddy is leaving her in her room. 
  • The park is still a favorite place. That girl has NO fear and climbs up on things and slides down slides I don't want to go on. Daddy gets to do those with her- when he can catch her. 
  • Sophie is starting to understand how to play WITH other toddlers and she really loves other people her size. She is really tall so generally people her size are closer to 2. She doesn't seem to mind. 
  • I've started letting her watch movies and tv clips on my laptop this month and it is fun to see her try to interact or simply react to what is happening. "Elmo in Grouchland" offers lots of opportunities for "uh oh's" and giggles and "that! that!"s. 
  • Sophie is more aware of others feelings and looks around to see the source of another crying child. She has tried giving hugs and kisses to her little playmates who have fallen on the playground and make things better. 
  • Her little vocabulary is growing every week. She now says "bye bye" while waving and just generally tries saying anything we say. 
  • Sophie is a good helper still (putting toys away, trying to help load/unload the dishwasher, laundry, throwing diapers away etc.) and I hope we can keep that up!
Sophie & daddy enjoying some
Indian curry on date night


We love our Sophie!

No comments:

Post a Comment