April 12, 2012

Hey moms, guess what? You don't work!

I'm pissed and as such, this may or may not be the most unbiased analysis of the situation. Before I continue, I don't have a political agenda here at all (I don't really care for any politicians at the moment). Anyway, the situation of which I type is the one involving Hilary Rosen of CNN accusing Ann Romney of "never working a day in her life." Yes, I am aware that this sound bite/quote has been taken a bit out of context and the point she was trying to make was that the Romney's are out of touch with the "common" American but I find the comment inexcusable, nonetheless.

Here is what I have to say to Hillary.

Honestly, I think YOU are the one who is really out-of-touch with us "commoners." To say that mothers (or dads who are home raising kids) don't work is one thing. To believe it enough to say it on a national news station is quite another. To insinuate that a parent who is home raising their child isn't doing something of worth, benefiting society as a whole or is somehow getting off "easy" has never really been a parent.

ALL moms work.

I have two sisters. Both of them have kids. Both of them work. One of them works at home by raising her kids. The other one is employed AND raising her kids. To say that either of them don't work is insane and absurd. I'm pretty sure my sister with 3 boys works a whole lot harder than the dentists I've worked with. I wonder how many women- if given the choice with the financial stability their family would need- would choose to stay home at least while their children were young. I know of several who would love that opportunity.

I keep typing & then deleting a whole bunch of other things but really, I think what Dr. Ablow wrote in an article today pretty well sums up the whole issue with Rosen Vs. Romney:


Hilary Rosen vilifying women who choose to be stay-at-home wives and mothers is particularly ironic, given that she has chosen an alternative lifestyle raising twins with a female partner, meaning no father-figure is present in her home. To enjoy the benefits of her alternative lifestyle while denigrating the lifestyle of Ann Romney shows that her seemingly infinite bandwidth for alternative lifestyles flows in one direction:  only alternative.

1 comment:

  1. i missed this, but glad u posted about it, some people!

    ReplyDelete