April 4, 2012

I guess I did learn something useful

Remember when I considered changing my major a couple years ago and then just decided to take a bunch of extra biology, microbiology and nutrition courses instead? {It wasn't actually a choice at that point. I tried to change it but had too many credits. Who comes up with those rules, anyway?} Turns out they didn't just delay graduation!

Anyway, with Craig being gone again tonight for another nerdmonger conference, I did some reading on iron-deficient anemia. All of those things we learned about started coming back. Heme versus non-heme irons, how adding some heme to a non-heme based dish can increase the body's ability to absorb more of the non-heme and my FAVORITE part of it all, vitamin C significantly increases the absorption of both types of iron in natural and supplemental forms. Why does that make me happy? I love orange juice which is an amazing source of vitamin C but, for the sake of the food budget, don't usually get it unless it's on sale. I won't buy the affordable, sugar-loaded, glorified melted popsicle stuff. However, now that I remember the benefits of it and know that this will help me get my iron stores back where they need to be prior to O's arrival, I think I can justify the extra $3  $6 a week (Craig will drink it if it's in the house).


By the way, for my price-matching, couponing friends, Tropicana and Trop50 IS on sale at Maceys for $2.49 this week.

1 comment:

  1. Trop 50 is awful, you might as well just buy the reg and water it down 50%.

    ReplyDelete