March 31, 2012

Some thoughts on a Saturday morning

We had a lot happen yesterday- more than originally planned- and it made for a nice day. I won't go into all of the details now but just a few of the unplanned events included: baking a lemon raspberry birthday cake (a chalk board with writing for a future teacher) for a birthday party, getting information about our community garden that is resulting in us renting and tilling many of the plots with several other families in our neighborhood this morning, color guard things and -this was planned- a birthday party for my nephew, David, who turned 3 yesterday.

It was a busy day but a good one. Through the day, I had a few thoughts keep coming back to me.


  1. I'm so glad we've been getting our house in order. It isn't perfect but just a few months ago, if someone had asked for a cake the same day, I might have lost it because of the work I would have had to do in the kitchen before starting or shopping for supplies I now have in food storage. I had everything, was able to get right to work (without even having to clean the counters again since they were already done from our morning routine) and everything was fine. 
  2. I love having a bright, sunshiny house. We are in a townhouse so our windows are just on the front and back of the house but it was designed so well that the only two places I can think of where you aren't around natural light are the utility room in the basement and the upstairs hallway when all of the bedroom doors are shut. It just makes my mood much better when there is sunlight!
  3. I would never want to be single again or go back to that time in my life. Craig and I have been married about 2 1/2 years which isn't terribly long but certainly long enough to let me know that where we are right now is the happiest place we've been in our adult lives. Please don't misunderstand what I'm saying. We absolutely LOVED our singles ward, our friends and time there and all of the wonderful things we were able to do and learn. We'd just never want to go back to that. 

We have some friends (a few who are much older than us) who are still in that phase of life by choice. In some ways, they seem to be having fun but as my mom pointed out yesterday when I was talking to her about this, it is temporary fun. We've been to a few parties or get-togethers with our single friends and we just don't "fit" anymore. Not too long ago, Craig even asked rhetorically, "what did we ever do before we had Sophie?" We love our little Sophie about as much as parents can love a child and as much fun as we had before she was born, it just can't even compare now. As recently as last night, I thought about how happy I am to get to come home to our home together, snuggle in to bed together and pray together before falling asleep together. Ranks right up there with waking up next to your very best friend and a couple cats on top.

I've heard people say high school is the "best" part of life. I disagreed with it then and I certainly still do now. When I got to BYU, I believed that where I was in life was MUCH better (socially, educationally) than high school and probably my favorite part of life. Then being a newlywed was pretty darn nice (minus Craig's surgeries and things like that). Really, though, I think right where we are right now is the best. I have a feeling that as long as we're doing what we ought to be, not trying to "stick" ourselves into any single phase, every single one could and should be "the best." Favorite part of this? From now on, I get to drag Craig and our little cuties along for the ride! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment