March 18, 2012

Note to Self...

Pinterest does not have everything.

GASP! Lots of my friends (or people who somehow show up on my account) keep "pinning" things that sound great like "31 fast, tasty, inexpensive meals WITH grocery lists!" but don't work out for me. Why? I absolutely refuse to regularly cook with "helpers," cream-of soups, ground beef, canned vegetables (good in soups when rotating food storage) or canned breads*.

Some examples?
- Browned ground beef, cream of mushroom soup, cheddar cheese & pasta
- Canned biscuits, hot dogs & cheddar cheese
- "Beenies & weenies" casserole
- Boxed mac & cheese, a can of tuna & a can of peas
- Ramen & tuna

Apparently there are people who enjoy those flavors but I'm not one of them. What I'd really like is a list of "Fast, healthy, tasty, inexpensive meals WITH grocery list"that fits my preferred way of living. Sigh. I guess that's something I will just have to do for myself. Thanks a lot, internet!

UPDATE: after mentioning this to Craig, he suggested having a food blog or site. We might just do that to keep track of our favorite healthy recipes, meals & grocery lists. :)

*Yes, I do enjoy a good Pillsbury crescent roll every now an then but do you have any idea how much FAT there is in one of those things?

7 comments:

  1. If you talk smack about beanies and weenies one more time I might have to leave you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bleeeeeeeeeeeegh! BEANS!! NAS-T-Y! I'll make that the day I make pigs in a blanket or feed Sophie vienna sausages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And because of the hilarious (and mildly inappropriate) conversation about this happening in real life, I am now having some BH contractions. No, that is most certainly NOT the baby asking for some 'lil smokies!'

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. Beans are awesome. C.f. Crescent Dragonwagon's newest cookbook.
    2. Please please please start this blog. I worship at the altar of protein-starch-veggie and I'm 90% succsesful at getting Rachael away from Mystery Helper, but the odd box of Suddenly Salad has been known to appear. But mostly we're in a terrible food rut with the same list every week and I'm not sure how many more Al Fresco chicken sausages I can possibly eat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jamie- don't worry. Craig has already started work/research on our new site which will have a name that I KNOW you'll appreciate! As soon as we get a few things on there, I'll be sure to send you the link!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to see the new website. You are such a great cook. Yes, we did teach Craig to love beanie/weanies. Every family needs a fallback. Has he told you about the English favorite in the family: eggs and beans on toast?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read this to Craig and he said, "mmmm!!" I think we all have our "guilty pleasure" foods and I think, compliments of you, I might have found Craigs! :)

      Delete