January 30, 2010

Over the desert and through the woods to Grandma's house we went!

Last Friday evening after Craig's interviews were over, we drove from Bellevue to Tacoma/Lakewood to see my Grandma and Grandpa Nasson! It was the first time in 4 years I've seen them and the very first time I've ever driven there. It was funny- even though it has been several years since I have been to visit and it was the first time I'd ever driven in that area, I just sort of knew where to go. It's funny the random things you can remember. We got to grandma's quickly- it's funny how quickly time can pass when you're having fun singing everything from 80's pop to grunge songs at the top of your lungs with your bestest friend. That was actually one of my favorite parts of the trip.

Once we were at grandmas, Craig sat with grandpa in the living room and talked and I helped grandma in the kitchen as we chatted. While grandmas yummy lasagna was baking, we all got to sit and talk! I had printed my bridal pictures and the wedding pictures to give to grandma & grandpa. Grandma needed to update her pictures of me-- there was a rather incriminating photo of me from the summer I felt the need to put an entire bottle of "sun-in" in my hair- and grow it out. To top it off, I was in my purple & teal majorette costume complete with a cowboy hat. Grandma loves it. Must be a grandma thing. In any case, we have supplied her with 50 new pictures. Her photo book (one I made her and grandpa for Christmas last year...or maybe the year before) is now completely full.

After dessert (homemade carrot cake with homemade cream cheese frosting...my mouth is watering even now just thinking about it) we went back to the living room to talk some more. Grandma showed me the book everyone contributed to for their 50th wedding anniversary. This sparked conversation on topics such as learning that grandma and grandpa had been married for a while before they were sealed in the temple. If I recall, all three of their kids had been born at that point. I was curious about that and found out that grandpa didn't join the church until well after he and grandma had been married. Who knew? Does that make me third generation? Oh, and we got to hear stories about my dad and aunts when they were growing up- things such as Aunt Carol getting really badly injured playing church softball.

It was just a lovely time. I miss my grandparents so much. It was sort of surreal to be there with my husband. Whenever I think of going to grandma's house, I imagine being a little girl playing tea party or house using the little tin kitchen (which apparently is still in the garage), climbing the green apple tree that is no longer in the backyard, going on evening walks with grandma & grandpa, getting star bursts out of the candy bowl on the little counter in the kitchen, taking baths in the bathroom with "crystal" lights, playing board games at the kitchen table, going down to the sound and watching the ferries and, among many other things, best of all, sitting on grandma's lap on the pink recliner. Shall I admit the thought very briefly crossed my mind when grandma sat down?

No comments:

Post a Comment