January 26, 2010

Aaah, the Pacific Northwest

Yeah for fun trips!
Several months ago, Craig took part in a career fair interview with Microsoft. While we were home at Christmas, he received an invitation to fly to Seattle to interview again with the company. Since he was only going to be 15 days out from a fairly intensive surgery, I got to go with him! (Hey, someone had to drive him around.) Microsoft flew us Delta which perhaps isn't the most glamourous airline but when you're used to the Southwest cattle call, it was 5-star. Since Craig was in a delicate condition, we went to ask for a pre-board pass but instead of just getting to get on early, they changed our seat assignments and we got an entire row to ourselves so he could stretch out. So nice. Oh, and there was internet on the flight. What? How does THAT work?

As previously mentioned, I was there to drive Craig around. Microsoft also paid

for a nice rental car. We spent our time there driving a saucy silver two-door Nissan Altima. It was an automatic which threw me off for a bit and made Craig a bit nervous, but it was great! We made it to the hotel- The Westin on the East Side in Bellevue (very nice)- got checked in and then walked (well, I walked, Craig scooted) to McCormick and Schmicks fish house for lunch- also on Microsoft. It was delicious. Craig needed a nap at that point so we headed back to the hotel so he could sleep and I could follow up on email. I had checked and taken care of things about 6 hours earlier and by the time I got to check it again, I had another 18 items to follow up on. Good grief.

As most of you know, I am a bit directionally impaired. Wait, my mom is going to read this- I am impossibly directionally impaired.  Craig had a dinner shindig on Thursday evening with the recruiters and the other people who were interviewing. Since we were so close (about 8 minutes according to google maps) to the Seattle temple, I decided to go for a session. I got lost going to the temple and ended up on my way to Issaquah. I was planning on making the 6:30 session but ended up getting into the 7:30 session. Then, once I was finished there, I got lost again. I knew something was up when I saw exit signs for Mercer Island- which meant I was on the floating bridge. In my attempts to get turned around, I ended up near Safeco Field in Seattle. Then I was on Mercer Island-very pretty. I had been trying to call anyone who Washington at all at that point and no one was answering. So what did I do? I called mom in Connecticut! Sure it was nearly 1:00 in the morning and 17 or 18 years since we lived there, but mom could get me back! Jeffery woke her up by saying "Mom, Sarah doesn't know where she is" to which my mother replied something along the lines of "okay, me either." She then repeated something similar to that once she woke up enough to answer the phone before telling me exactly how to get back from 90 to 405 to Bellevue. Yes, that is love.



1 comment:

  1. I feel your pain about getting lost in unfamiliar surroundings (must be a Peterson trait that THEY don't). The only thing that saved me when we went to Florida was the new GPS Brent insisted we needed even after his wife told him we would never use it (we still do all the time). I even took the kids to Sea World and the airport all by myself, which I never could have done without the GPS. When will you know about the internship?

    ReplyDelete