November 4, 2011

Food Stuffs and Budgeting

Sophie is napping (YES!), laundry is running and dishwasher is just about done. Finally, a morning of productivity that doesn't include all school work. Woo! I am also very happy to report that last evening, Craig and Sophie and I were very successful in our two-week-food-shopping-within-a-set-budget challenge. We were substantially below what I thought we would need to spend, actually. We were able to get two weeks worth of breakfast, lunch & dinner food for (including taxes) $86 and some cents. No, we're not eating ramen and cold cereal. Our menu looks something like this for the coming two weeks:

-Acorn squash soup in baking pumpkin bowls (Craig's recipe- I get the insides for making pumpkin treats:)
-Chicken spaghetti, fresh veggies & focaccia
-From scratch clam chowder (YUM!)
-Chicken tacos with rice & fresh veggies
-Tilapia, brown rice & fresh broiled asparagus
-Shrimp scampi with fresh veggies
-Chicken & vegetable noodle soup (homemade, of course) and bread sticks
-Fish tacos (grilled)
-Slow cooker Kalua pork & potatoes (This will be two meals, at least)
-Latkes & homemade chunky apple sauce
-BBQ grilled chicken and baked potatoes
-Non-breaded chicken parmesan with pasta & fresh veggies
-Crab cakes (yum, yum, yum!)

Lunches will be mostly dinner left-overs or sandwiches and we have lots of fruit, yogurt, gold fish for Sophie, cheese sticks, cereal, toaster waffles (sometimes you need something fast), eggs, milk, juice etc. for everything else.

Thank you, Walmart, for having fabulous prices and doing ad-matching. Does this mean I get to use the "extra" budgeted food funds to get more things for Thanksgiving? I think yes :)

4 comments:

  1. You are doing great! It's interesting you are listing your menu plan. Linda and I are taking a family history class and in our discussion this week on Elijah the question was asked "Are we willing to do what the prophets ask?" Then there was a short discussion of food storage including listing 10 meals your family will eat and multiplying ingredients, over time, to have a year's storage. So Linda and I are sharing 10 meals and making plans. Your list has given me more ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I could help! A bunch of those things I have food storage item recipes for. They're altered and don't have quite as many fresh ingredients but nutritionally, they're much better than most of the prepackaged things. I'd be happy to share those with you, if you'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, so I'm heading over for dinner! Sounds great!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please do! After spending a week cooking everything on the grill, you deserve a cooking break.

    ReplyDelete