November 27, 2011

Ever wonder why you even try going to church?

To anyone who has ever sat in church- any church- with young children: 

-Have you ever shot dirty looks at parents who have a noisy/upset/curious baby?
-Have you ever been the parent receiving dirty looks because you have a noisy/upset/curious baby?

I am sort of disappointed to say that we were on the receiving end today. I'm sure at some point in my life I've wondered why parents weren't taking a noisy/upset/curious baby out but I know for a fact that that was never my normal thought process. If babies weren't supposed to be noisy etc. then they wouldn't come that way. 

Sophie loves people (especially small ones) and our ward is not lacking in either.  Early on in the meeting today, Sophie was happily (and only barely audibly) conversing with another almost-toddler a few rows ahead of us. Ava, who happens to be our neighbor, was happily replying. Some people behind us sighed loudly. I chose to ignore it because neither Sophie nor Ava were screaming or really distracting from the oh-so important announcements. Sophie was quiet enough during the hymns but then it was time for the sacrament. Sophie REALLY likes this part of the meeting. She stood up on my lap and started pointing at all of the deacons and saying, "dat!" Translation: that. When it was our turn, she reached for and almost succeeded in getting the entire tray out of the hands of the unsuspecting 12 year old. We gave her a piece of bread which made her happy for about a minute. She then stood up again and continued pointing and saying, "DAT!!" Each time she'd say it a bit louder and with more meaning. 

It happened with the water, too. We were even "those" parents who let her keep the tiny cup. Mainly because she is little and takes a while to finish and no, she does not want help. That also kept her happy for maybe 30 seconds. And it continued. 

Long and short of the rest of the meeting: Craig and I took turns taking her out because she was too excited to sit still and be quiet and I was tired of the sighs and (obvious) looks from people around us. When I was handing Sophie off to Craig for something like the 4th time, I remembered a devotional that President Monson gave at BYU several years ago. I think I was a sophomore. There was a little girl -maybe 3 or 4- who was running up and down the stairs in the Marriot Center. Both of her parents were trying to get her to calm down and sit down. President Monson saw this and said something to the effect of 'Don't do that. She has such a large spirit and such a tiny body she NEEDS to move and make sounds!' And it's true! 

Someday she'll just be boring like the rest of us and sit still and not make a sound. Where is the fun in that?

2 comments:

  1. Been there - - done that! (Meaning, had "disruptive" children and felt threatened by other's looks. Only suggestion is to sit someplace that disturbs the least - - like front two rows or back two rows on an end you can escape from easily. You will always need escape and always get the looks. Some people are that way. Just smile. Lots of times people are looking to see who the cutee is.

    I remember when my brother, Joe, started passing the sacrament. One of the neighbor toddlers kept shouting out "Joe". It was sooo cute but irreverent and the parents usually had to take the kid out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd just rather people be a little bit more patient with some children. I completely understand that there are times when taking the child out is unquestionably necessary. I would just prefer to take the time to teach Sophie - and let other parents teach their children- that it is a reverent time and there are so many good examples IN the chapel that they won't see in the hallway.

    p.s Grandpa told us that story about Joe. I think that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete