November 6, 2011

Because I can say it

If you're a reader of my blog (not sure how some of you got here, but welcome) you likely know that I don't care for Relief Society in our current ward.** I don't care for the lessons, the frequent insensitivity to what is different and the assumptions that we are all the same. Oh, and I don't like visiting teaching, so, of course, getting numbers every month is my job. Joy. Church is long and hard with a very wiggly, tired baby-almost-toddler without some of the sillies we hear. For the record, I do not need Craig to validate me in order to be a fulfilled, well-balanced person and if I pursue things outside the home (continuing education, hobbies or whatnot) it is NOT because he isn't 'valuing' me enough. By the way, does the priesthood have lessons on "planning healthy meals," "home gardening," "caring for children" and "disease prevention?" (This is a real question...)

I loved my RS in the singles ward. Why? Almost everyone there was either in school or working. While we had many things in common, we weren't treated like we were all the same. The lessons focused on the importance of realizing and fulfilling ones divine potential. No two people will lead the same life and therefore, exercising agency and following the path that is right for YOU, not everyone else, was constantly the emphasis.

I obviously had another rough day at church. But guess what? It isn't about the programs, the imperfect people teaching or some of the off-the-wall/where-did-that-come-from comments. It is about remembering who we are, where we came from and knowing that we have a loving Father in Heaven who is very aware of each of us and has a specific plan in mind to help us learn and grow and reach our own divine potential. It is about knowing that our families can be together forever. It is about knowing that when we make stupid mistakes- big or small or somewhere in between- we can receive forgiveness. I guess for me it takes going to a frustrating lesson to remember that.

.....



**If you are planning on lecturing me about the 'joys of sisterhood' or just 'needing a testimony of VTing' etc. just don't. I've heard it before. Go ahead and assume you've already told me I have a bad attitude or whatever and just leave it alone.**

No comments:

Post a Comment