July 17, 2011

Our Garden


Craig watering the zucchini

Snap peas

Bush beans 
So, remember that post from a couple months ago when I promised I'd upload pictures of our garden plot? Remember how I never did? Oh, well, I snapped some (poor quality) pictures on Craig's phone today while we were out on our afternoon walk & watering. When Kathryn - the lady who is in charge of the neighborhood garden plots & the one who helped me learn quite a lot about how to successfully grow things in Utah - saw how many squash & zucchini plants we had planted, she said quite seriously that we were going to have a "squash-splosion." I wasn't quite sure considering I had already killed a few plants. Well, she was right. On one plant alone today we had 16 flowers with zucchini buds growing. We harvested 3 of the larges crook necks yesterday and there were 4 more ready today. It's a good thing we love squash. If the tomatoes would hurry up and ripen, I'd just start making huge batches of my tomato squash pasta sauce. Hmmm ... I guess this means I'm going to need to learn how to jar stuff. I'm sure I can find a tutorial online somewhere. Anyway, I've posted the low-quality pictures I have of our garden. Don't mind the fact that it's out in the middle of the undeveloped area in the neighborhood or the fact that our plot is immediate neighbors with a farmers alfalfa field. Just notice all the wonderful things we're growing: Carrots, Squash, Zucchini, 3 varieties of tomatoes, snap peas, bush beans, lettuce, bell peppers, onions (it might be dead...), strawberries, jalapeno (just one), weeds. Not on purpose, but it is awfully difficult to keep up with them when the garden plot is in the middle of a weed field.
Our garden plot. See the farm from
along the edge of our plot?

3 of the 4 tomato plants

Squash & zucchini 


4 comments:

  1. Fabulous! Gardening in Utah is fun! Just make sure you amend your soil and water enough and you're good to go! Our tomato plants are taller than Andrew now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a fabulous recipe for garden pizza that uses zucchini (I've used squash too)and some other veggies, FB message me if you would like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very jealous. I was growing some tomatoes and had about 6 or 7 growing until my dog ate them. :(

    ReplyDelete