July 24, 2011

Grown-up life is hard :/

So, apparently, it's a bit harder to get all of legal niceties taken care with a very small start-up business than I thought.

Things we currently have going for us:

  • Customers coming to us
  • Good products at reasonable prices
  • Free website
  • Free advertising
  • I'm a girl (more on why that's good later) 
  • FREE online accounting & small business software. It's amazing. 


Things that need to happen/change/ be completed:

  • Make my IRS EIN # mean something so I can hire an employee
  • Figure out what the real law is regarding home-based catering services
  • Talk to the Community Action people about their sliding-scale small commercial kitchen rental

Apparently there are grants and classes available for women who are trying to start their own businesses in Utah. The emphasis and greater support is given to people who want to be able to hire other employees. I'm going to be looking in to this because really, I love catering. I love being my own boss. I love that Craig is amazing and tells me to figure out what I want to do and do it (and dump the rest of the time fillers but that's not a discussion for this blog.) The biggest problem now is making sure I have a facility I can use and that will meet my event preparation needs and not eat all of the profits of events. 

My newest dream is to someday to have a small little store front-type set up with a little office and modest size commercial kitchen. Starting a business (legally) is pretty intimidating. Any suggestions? 

2 comments:

  1. Unfortunately I'm ethically bound from providing specific legal advice, but calling the Secretary of State will teach you what Utah expects of you before you start a business. They probably don't get involved in licensing, but they'll know who will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great bit of advice, Jamie!

    ReplyDelete