July 20, 2011

A follow-up

I started this in the comments section of my previous post but it was taking up too much room.


I do apologize if I have offended anyone. That really wasn't my intention. My husband read this while he was in another room and I he let me know I was being a little ridiculous. Perhaps he let me know I was being more than "a little" ridiculous.

I'm just getting a tired of constantly being asked to help with projects that are quite below the capabilities of the scouts doing them. In my mind, these projects serve many purposes. The ones Jamie has outlined - serving "a need that an existing infrastructure doesn't already serve"- as well as having the scouts challenge themselves. I feel very strongly that the capstone project of scouting and young women's projects (a topic for another time) should be something they're proud of, that pushed them to be better, helped them learn about themselves and do more than they thought they could.


(By the way, Jamie, the benches to which I was referring are ones made out of 4 pieces of wood that come in a kit. Not the nice one you did- that's quite different.)

Again, that having been said, I understand different people have different abilities. I would NEVER look down on a scout -or anyone for that matter- who did a blood drive, built a bench, painted signs etc. that was going above & beyond what they thought they could do or their normal capabilities. The only problem I see with these is that it doesn't push most capable young men to be more.

Again, I do apologize if my frustrations at finding another note on our front door and subsequent rantings here offended anyone. And with that, I'm off to figure out how to bake BYU mint brownies that are gluten free. If I find success, I'll be sure to post the recipe here!

2 comments:

  1. Hahahahahaa! Only for you, Jamie! They actually came out surprisingly well. The gluten-free ones, that is.

    ReplyDelete