July 28, 2012

MIA and a few little projects

So, it has been well over a month since I last posted anything. Oops. Things have been pretty busy around these parts. We have an (almost) 7 week old, my mom and brother have been in town (they go home tomorrow. Boo. They extended their trip by 5 days but I still wish they didn't have to go), Craig's entire family was in town for a time, I've gone back to teaching guard a few hours a week and life in general has been moving along. With everything that has happened in the last month or so, I've decided to post about topics for the next little while rather than trying to go back and "date" everything. Why? Because, frankly, a lot of it is a blur of being excessively tired, trying not to act as tired as I have felt, trying to keep up and have fun. And I can't remember when a lot of things happened.

For this post, I'm just going to share some "house project" pictures. As I've said many times before, I am much happier when I have something to work on and things for/in/around our house happen to be my favorite. A while ago, Craig told me to get a hobby. Projects ARE my hobby. Sorry, dude.

I "made" a car organizer. More like "repurposed/altered a used
door shoe holder I've had since I was a freshman." Either way,
I love having it. 
Sophie, our little helper. She enjoys the level (shown here) and the stud finder. 
Sophie's new craft nook in the kitchen. That
table was a Christmas present last year and
has been updated.
Andrew & Craig got to play with our new sander and
take all of the white paint off so I could
add the pink & yellow. It's now a chalkboard, too!
The picture wire is from IKEA, I built the knob board
and those cute tins are from Tai Pan and have
chalk, crayons and pencils in them. 

BEFORE
A standard (aka "boring"), plain bathroom mirror.
Craig obviously took this picture. I would
have put my swimsuit away before taking it.  
AFTER
A beautiful (we think) mirror frame.
Craig & Andrew stained & cut the
wood before we hung it. (I took this one. My
swimsuit is put away.)









 The frame in the middle has all of our birth dates
 and the bottom says
"what a difference a day makes"
End of our upstairs hallway.
It would be a great spot for a
closet but it's just open. 
Upstairs hall. I am going to redo
the "family" vinyl. It didn't turn
out right. Pictures of our girls with clocks stopped at their birth time.
So, we decided to put shelves in!
This is only two but we're going
to do 5. 

4 comments:

  1. Good work girl! I love the shelves you put into the 'closet' - how clever! And the mirror frame is awesome! I've always wanted to do something like that -- how'd you fit the wood around it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lydia- we totally cheated with the frame. Our mirror didn't have the little 'gator clips holding it to the wall so we couldn't take it off and restyle the whole thing properly. (Glued mirrors pull drywall to shreds when taken down. Not my idea of fun!) Because we couldn't take it down, we couldn't go around the mirror, either, since there was basically no space on the left wall. Solution? We built the frame to fit ON the mirror. After measuring several times, staining, setting and cutting, we attached the pieces with liquid nails. The biggest trick with that is applying the glue on the 2/3 of the wood closest to the outer edge so you don't get a reflection of glue. It ended up being so manageable and making such a nice impact in our bathroom we're going to do it in our other bathrooms, too!

    I have a "secret" blog I write myself tutorials on so I don't forget how I do things. Maybe I should make it public and add the mirror instructions to it. It really was surprisingly enjoyable to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very awesome sarah, i love the idea of these crafty home projects

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've been so busy! I love all of your projects and have some great ideas for our new place now! :D Trip to IKEA for sure! Please share tutorials if/when you can and hopefully you can come and help me craft up our new place as soon as graduation is overwith! You are so awesome, look at you go!
    Miss you and Sophie terribly, dear friend, can't wait to see you!
    Love,
    Ceci

    ReplyDelete