October 30, 2011

The things we learn in English...

Most of the time have nothing to do with English.


I love my class. Somehow the topic of "text speak" came up a few class periods ago and the conversation that followed was really entertaining. One boy in our class spoke up and mentioned that his mom would text him "WTF" frequently after he had sent something to her like "I just did really well on my midterm!" He was confused and finally asked her one day if she even knew what that meant. She replied, "of, course! It means 'wow, that's fantastic!'" ((If you don't know what that actually means, don't look it up.)) I mentioned that to Craig and we now have some of our own versions of some popular, yet formerly unkind,  text lingo. My favorite? OMFG- "Oh my! Flying goats!!"

And with that, I'm off to make some Thai chicken potstickers with Craig :)

No comments:

Post a Comment