October 24, 2011

Another confession...

...Sometimes I give food to homeless people. Or people who say they're homeless. You know the ones I'm talking about. The people who sit on corners by themselves with large backpacks, dogs and occasionally a sign that says they're traveling and hungry. I don't ever give money but if we have extra fruit smiles, cosmic brownies (sorry, Craig) or a pack of crackers, that's what they get. No, I do not get out of the car. No, I don't roll the window down all the way. Yes, the doors stay locked. Not trying to be scared of people but I have to be safe, right?

I don't remember how long ago this actually was but I remember when I was littleish my dad would have corporate meetings in Bentonville a couple times a year. It was always fun to see what kind of treats/samples he'd bring home with him. (A couple I remember: the lifesaver creamy hard candies and the Lays Baked chips. We got to try those before they were even being advertised. Oh, and shampoo from the hotel. Always fun.) Any way. One time he came home from a trip and told us a story. I couldn't have been very old when he told us this and the details are fuzzy, but this is what I remember. Maybe my older siblings or mom could clarify some things. He was driving somewhere and had a strong impression to slow down/stop. There was a man who was homeless/unemployed/not doing well or what have you on the side of the road. Dad felt impressed to take him to a restaurant to get him something to eat and he ordered the most expensive thing on the menu but dad got it for him. He then took him over to the local Walmart and bought him some socks. I believe it made more of an impact than a full stomach and warm feet. Certainly has for me.

Another time, we were on spring break and went to Washington D.C. A women who truly looked homeless and had a baby with her came and asked dad for money. This wasn't the first person to ask us but for some reason, helped her a bit, too. I think she also got some packs of fruit snacks from us.

Why am I talking about this now? As I was leaving Walmart today, I saw a tiny little Hispanic lady -the one who sells pine nuts and homemade tamales on the corner- walk over to the girl who was sitting on the corner with a backpack and her dog and gave said corner girl several of her tamales and a pack of pine nuts.  Who knows if this corner girl is really homeless or traveling or whatever. The tamale/pine nut lady didn't care. She saw someone who in her mind was worse off than herself and did what she could to help. Watching this reminded me of our spring break and the story dad told us. It really isn't our place to judge others or assume we know why people are in the position they're in. Dad followed an impression to help someone in need. We don't always know why we're impressed to do things. Maybe we could all be a little nicer to each other- including those we don't really know. We're all children of a God who loves ALL of us.

p.s Sorry, Craig. We are a bag of Triscuits shorter this evening than we were this morning.

2 comments: