January 23, 2011

Happy Birthday, Grandpa Merrill!

Grandpa Merrill is turing 78 years young tomorrow. He has made it pretty clear that he doesn't want any presents because, as he likes to tell us, by this point in life, he has everything he needs or wants. However, he did tell me that I could make him a little birthday treat. So, what did I do? I made him a birthday present cake. (Ha)

A few lessons I learned with this cake:
*Buttercream frosting made with real butter tastes good
*Shortening made with beef tallow will not produce frosting that holds together
*Don't attempt homemade frosting with less than 2 pounds of powdered sugar in the house

4 comments:

  1. ohmygosh! SO cute! :) Can you make a cute one like that for James' first birthday?....In July. baha!

    Seriously though. Play date?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally could! We could make baby blocks or a stack of presents or any number of things! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone thought it was cute Sarah and I thought it fun that you picked funfetti for the cake (sort of dots, don't you think?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looked great, Sarah! I'm sure grandpa loved it!

    ReplyDelete