September 6, 2012

Yup. I'm one of those. Again.

Our "perfect" children,
perfectly put together in our
perfectly clean room.
Refused to nap and fell
asleep in her high chair
Does anyone else remember, prior to becoming a parent, saying "when I'm a mom/dad, I'll NEVER ____"fill in the blank. Now that you're a parent, do you find yourself doing X? I do. I still believe the only perfect parents are those without kids. You know, the ones who will NEVER: lose their temper, let their child go to the store with who knows what stuck in their hair, look the other way when the toddler puts her face on the cat, prop a bottle, think a not-so-stylish ponytail & gaucho pants are okay to be seen in at the park... All of those things. Did you also vow before #2 came along that you would get just as many pictures, write about them just as much and spend just as much time with them snuggling, playing, reading etc. as you did with the first?



Yeah. I was smarter than to assume I'd have just as much time but I did grossly underestimate the time (and energy!) I would have to just snuggle with Olivia. Lucky for me, I was a massive hormonal mess for several months after Sophie was born so I don't think I'll have a problem keeping up with a similar level of picture-taking or writing about her. ;)

I was busy feeding Olivia so she got her
own snack. Good thing the
grapes are washed and
put in a convenient container.
Oh, and good that grapes
 roll. Good toys for the cat. :/
Found trying to eat her
"LaLa" toothpaste out
of the tube
I do wish I could somehow magically make all of the laundry, dishes, car maintenance, bathrooms, grocery shopping etc. disappear so I could spend all of my time with the girls. Yes, I do make doing laundry a game with Sophie, she does like to help me clean (she's pretty good with the swiffer in the kitchen, getting trash to the trash can, putting her pillows on her bed and things like that) but by the time we've gone through our day, I'm quite tired. Sophie goes to bed between 7:00 and 8:00 and then Olivia is up for several feedings and will settle in around 10:00. On paper, it makes perfect sense to have that time set aside for one on one Olivia time. In real life, after a full day of everything, a couple days a week of guard* and such, I'm ready for bed by 8:00. Worse still, I actually enjoy spending time with Craig
and I don't like being tired and occasionally grumpy when he gets home. I haven't quite figured things out yet but we'll find our balance and rhythm soon. For now, I think I'll start taking an iron supplement again. :)
And there's Olivia. Well,
she's pretty much perfect
for now. It'd be nice if she'd
sleep through the night but
we'll get there. 

*Before anyone oh-so politely suggests again that I drop color guard, I might suggest you not make that suggestion. I don't ever want to hear another person say 'you're a mom now, you don't need to do that anymore.' Why? Because yes, actually I do need it. Everyone needs SOMETHING and for me that is color guard. Thanks for asking :) 

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how anyone could possibly face you with such a comment! Everyone needs something to do that they love and makes them feel like a solid contributing citizen. I'm SO glad you have color guard!

    ReplyDelete