February 13, 2011

Woo-hoo Sushi!

I LOVE surprises. Getting them are fun, sure, but I much prefer being the mastermind behind them. With Valentines coming up, I'd spent a lot of time thinking about what I wanted to do for Craig. I haven't been a big fan of Valentines since we stopped decorating tissue boxes and having parties in Elementary school. Mom's birthday (14th) was always a more exciting to plan and make things for.

Anyway- I was so excited about what I got for Craig for Valentines day that I just couldn't wait any longer to give it to him.  That is usually Craig not being able to wait. (Example: he gave me my birthday present at about 6:30 am before I had even fully woken up on my birthday.) When I was in Connecticut, mom & I went to Borders to find a science/physics DVD for Andrew & I found a fabulous sushi set. Craig and I LOVE sushi. Sadly, even having sent Craig home with two 50 pound checked bags and a very full carry on, I still didn't have room to bring it back with me. But, this week I found an even better book with more pretty pictures for him. I was quite excited.

Since I gave it to him two days early, I hadn't gotten all of the supplies we were going to need but that made it even more fun since we were able to go together. After I gave him his sushi recipe book (outside Shoga- where we were going to lunch together) we decided we were going to make our own for dinner. 
After lunch, we decided that we wanted to make shrimp tempura, salmon (smoked), crab (krab) and California rolls. We headed over to Many Lands and got some short grain sticky rice, bamboo rolling mat and some rice vinegar. Add lots of fresh veggies such as cucumber, carrots, avocado & green peppers (for in the rolls) and a large bowl of tempura vegetables and you've got a yummy dinner.
Grandpa expressed interest in trying sushi a few weeks ago when Craig and I were talking about it. For a variety of reasons, we didn't want to have raw fish and I'm not really sure grandpa would have eaten it if it was raw anyway. Watching him take his first bite of a shrimp roll was mildly entertaining. We did have chop sticks and did try teaching him how to use them but that was a no-go. He picked the roll up with his fingers and then tried taking a bite out of it which didn't work (they fall apart.) Oh, and yes, you do eat the roasted seaweed wrapper. He tried one of the Krab rolls and then just stuck with the tempura veggies.

Because we were going to take pictures of a couple of my guard girls, we didn't make anymore rolls. Salmon rolls & stir fry for lunch today! :D

2 comments:

  1. SO JEALOUSSS!!!

    making sushi is on my list of things to do in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was super easy!! Biggest things you need are short grain sticky rice and a bamboo rolling rolling mat. Both were pretty inexpensive. Our mat was like $3.

    ReplyDelete