February 8, 2011

Katharine's Wedding Reception...Part 2

And I'm back to finish chronicling the fabulous tale of Katharine's weddingness. There was just too much to put in one post so here is part 2.
Okay, so Saturday morning we woke up to find my puffs had collapsed, I was overly dramatic, Craig saved the day by going to Costco and getting me some frozen ones to work with. They were the only things not homemade... I think we all survived.  Katharine had requested some frosted sugar cookies for the reception. She doesn't like buttercrap frosting or regular glazes so I made a cream cheese glaze tinted pale pink like the roses on the puffs & pumpkin bars for the heart-shaped cookies.

Craig's aunt Liz and her girls were in town and staying with grandpa (so, in the room next to ours). Liz saw me running around like a nut and offered to help. She made an additional batch of chocolate chip cookies for back-up/fill in (and they ended up being used) while I was dipping the sugar cookies in the cream cheese glaze. Tawny- who I hadn't met before- also came over and helped. I don't think we would have gotten everything done without that extra boost during the final dash. On top of everything else they helped with, they tidied the kitchen for me after we left.

Anyway- reception. We got to the building in Logan at about 3:00. The wedding wasn't set to start until 4:30 so we unloaded everything we brought with us and got things going in the kitchen. I'm not sure how this happened but it was assumed that I was in charge of the food and the reception. I understand that weddings are stressful times and they don't always bring out the best in people... including me at times. I had to step out to feed Sophie for a few minutes and came back to find people had been going through my tupperwear eating everything I brought, an aunt of some kind messing with my fruit platter arrangement and children with fingers in my decorator frosting. I was ready to throw a kitten at someone. Luckily, my very good friend, Emily, was there and came to my rescue.

Emily says and does what needs to be said and done. She became my sanity and right hand (yes, I am right-handed so this analogy works) for the rest of the night. Between the two of us we were able to keep the food table properly filled, attractive and clean the entire night. Even when some items would run out entirely, we were able to keep everything looking full and welcoming. MASSIVE thank you to Emily!

Just a couple final thoughts/favorite moments of the evening:

  • Pretty much anytime Tyler's brothers came into the kitchen. They remind me a lot of Bryan with their bone-dry sense of humor and wit.
  • Katharine finally telling her MiL it was her reception and she would do what she wanted (at the time, getting a bite to each and some water to drink instead of standing in a stupid wedding line)
  • Borrowing Sarah V's lacy black slip since my black eyelet dress doesn't fit my... shoulders... the way it did when mom made it before I was pregnant. (Which I didn't know until I tried putting it on 10 minutes before the wedding ceremony.) 
  • All the time I spent with Emily 
  • The end. It was quite satisfying seeing that we pulled off a pretty, calm evening (food-wise) and that we were done. 

1 comment: