August 17, 2012

What a Friday

I've been gone all day (7-5:30) every day this week teaching/working at SFHS' band camp. After long, tiring days, I've been somewhat disinclined to come home, make dinner, play with my girls and THEN clean bathrooms, do laundry etc. I've been looking forward to getting the house cleaned up, laundry done and grocery shopping for the rest of the month taken care of today (Friday) all week. Why? A couple reasons. The first being that my friend is getting married today and I really want to go to her reception this evening. And second, because I enjoy treating weekends like mini vacations and having fun with Craig and the girls and I don't really relax much until things like that are done.

Poor girl!

Sophie woke up this morning just after 7:00- a least an hour before she normally does- and was fussy/grumpy/clingy right away. Olivia was a little sick yesterday evening and I didn't sleep very well/much last night because every little sound woke me up and then she, too, want to be snuggled & fed about 7:15. Sign #1 I should have put everyone back in their beds. We finally made it down stairs about 9:00. Sophie ate some yogurt and then wanted to play. Olivia wanted to eat so we settled in the front room to take care of both. Sophie was happily dancing to the music on the baby play mat and I was chatting with my mom when Sign #2 came about. Sophie lost control of herself mid-twirl and ended up going face first into the bench by the stairs. She was obviously and justifiably upset. She hit right under her eye - thank goodness she didn't hit her eye!!- , across her nose and then hit her mouth on the wall. I was expecting to see blood when I got her up, a busted lip and hurt teeth. Her lip was swollen, under her eye is purple and swollen but no blood and all of her teeth are where they belong. One silly video chat with daddy, a sippy of milk and some raisins later, she was much happier.
Matching bruise on the left.
No, I didn't even take Olivia's
 paci from her while she
was upset.

She might be on to something-
that yogurt made her hair
even softer than normal.
Being the optimist I am, I decided this would be a good time to get Sophie dressed and let her pick out an outfit for Olivia to wear to the store. (Remember one of my goals for the day was a little grocery shopping?) We got the clothes and went back downstairs to get both girls ready to go. Olivia informed us she was still hungry and needed to eat now. Sophie had her shirt on and was happily running her riding toy around the room so I sat down, again, to try to feed the baby. She hadn't been eating very long when I heard a crash and scream from the kitchen. Sign #3. Sophie had attempted to climb back in her high chair to finish the yogurt she hadn't finished at breakfast and knocked the whole thing over. She was on the floor on her side, covered in yogurt & milk and again, justifiably, upset. This time, however, Olivia was NOT going to politely wait for me to take care of her sister. No. She wanted attention, too. While I was snuggling Sophie and getting her ready to get in the tub (did I mention she was covered from head to toe in peach yogurt?), Olivia screamed louder than I've ever heard before, upset herself a LOT, had a complete blowout which she then kindly managed to get on the carpet (lots of flailing and rolling from side to side) and the blanket she was laying on.
Thanks for being a team player and
cleaning the yogurt up, Herkimer. Please
don't give it back later. 


After Sophie was clean, I just put her in pjs in our bed with a sippy and turned on "Cars". Olivia has been cleaned up, changed and fed. I'm no longer wearing pants because if the day is going to keep going like this, really, what is the point? I'm sure after the next feeding my shirt is going to be covered in spit up- Olivia is a champion spitter- and Craig is going to find all of us in a heap in our bed when he gets home. Honestly, if I hadn't been in the middle of all of this, didn't smell like peachy-poop and have the fresh pile of laundry and photographic evidence, I wouldn't believe a word of this. Thank goodness it's Friday. : /

No comments:

Post a Comment